Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Little Things...

Several years ago I opened my car door in my work parking lot and the wind caught it.  To my dismay it hit and put a ding in the car beside me.  I was brand new at the job and was mortified.  To make a long story short, I decided to not try to find the owner of the car nor did I leave a note.  I have felt bad ever since. 

Today, I pulled into the Moe's parking lot for a yummy burrito with my handsome son and again the wind caught my door and it hit the car beside me.  (Dang Irene).  Anyhoo, I began to grapple in my head all over again.  Here I was staring at six businesses.  Where could the owners be? Did they see me?  Are they going to come out and yell at me?  Should I leave a note?  I felt like God was telling me that I could get it right this time, but how? Of those six businesses, four were restaurants.  Would I be rude to interrupt someones meal with this kind of news? 

I ended up getting Kaleb out to go into Moe's but as I was doing so, I said a little prayer.  "Dear God, I know this is a long shot, but please let the family finish their meal at the same time we are leaving so I can tell them in person."  As I was getting our meal I looked all over the restaurant for someone staring me down with a glare.  No one. I was melting in guilt.

As I was putting Kaleb back in the car, by golly I looked up and there I saw them.  A beautiful family of five coming out to the car I just put a ding in.  I ran up and told them about the ding.  Granted it was only a centimeter long and the car had a few more more pronounced dents, but I had to tell them.  The kind man spoke very little English but I kept saying "Lo Siento, I'm Sorry, Lo Siento" and he just smiled at me and said, "It's okay."

Sometimes I look at much larger situations and wonder if God is really listening, or if he cares.  I would be lying if I said I didn't question his existence when tragic things happen.  But today, I saw God in a little thing.  I don't think it mattered to the family that I put a ding in their car, but honestly it did matter.  I remember like yesterday the fact I was not honest in my work parking lot years ago.  Today I feel like God gave me the opportunity to exercise honesty, and in return receive love.  It's in those moments when you smile at the realization that God is in the small stuff that it becomes real that He really does have the propensity to, and does, care about the big stuff.

No comments: